Fires can unfortunately bring exasperating destruction to our homes and lives. Even small fires can cause damage to your personal belongings. At FCT, we prioritise in efficiently cleaning and restoring your home to its original state. We want to take some of that burden off your shoulders! Our team can provide you with fire and smoke restoration, odour control, upholstery and fabric cleaning and water damage restoration services.
Steps YOU Can Take to ‘Fight the Fire’!
Here are some steps that you and your family can take to alleviate any anxiety while you wait for a professional! This will ensure the best outcome for your home or property:
- Call your insurance company. They will be your first point of call to work out where you should go to next and will be able to give you directions if you are unsure. If you are uninsured, give us a call and we can work out what needs to be done. Do not fear—not all things damaged will need to be replaced. Some can be repaired or restored to eliminate further costs.
- Do not try and clean up the damage. This may seem counter-intuitive. However it is better to wait for a professional to attend to your property. They will have the right tools and products to suitably clean and restore any damage to your home. If you do not have the right tools, this may result in an injury.
- Wear protective clothes. Wear closed in shoes and clothes that cover your arms and legs even when you are just walking around and inspecting the damage. Wearing a mask would be beneficial if there is still a strong odour in the air.
- Create a list or take note of what has been damaged. This is to let the professionals know what they’ve got to deal with. Make sure to look both inside and outside flagging any issues you can see. Once they arrive, they can work out to what extent and specifically what damage has been done. If the structures have been deemed unsafe by a fire marshal, DO NOT attempt to enter the room or building.
- Open your windows and turn fans on at a low speed. This will ensure that the air is continuously ventilated and it will do away with any residual odour and filter out any smoke. Do wait some time after the fire has been put out to turn on a fan.