What are some initial cleaning steps that a property owner or facilities manager can take in the building restoration process after vandalism has occurred? Are there any common mistakes that property owners should avoid when trying to clean-up after graffiti damage?
Vandalism damage takes many forms, each of which requires specialized attention for proper remediation. It is important to refrain from attempting clean-up without knowledgeable assistance, as some inks, paints, or cosmetic stains can be permanently set in if not handled properly. However, certain conditions are best addressed if handled promptly.
Vandalism often involves spray paint on walls, defacement of furnishings, or spreading noxious substances. It is one of the most difficult forms of damage to restore. Prompt action can often minimize the effect of vandalism or make restoration more successful. The process can be complicated, and the variables are endless, so professional restoration services are often required when dealing with vandalism clean-up. That being said, here are some do’s and don’ts for property owners or facilities managers with regarding clean-up and restoration after vandalism:
Graffiti Damage Do…
- Hose down or wash off damage off building exteriors as soon as possible.
- Vacuum glass particles from carpet and upholstery.
- Save containers and spray cans left behind by the vandals. These can reveal the composition of ink and pigments, allowing restorers to more effectively treat and clean the blighted area.
- Save all wood chips and fragments from furniture, porcelain, or art objects. They could potentially be used to reconstruct the damaged piece.
- Attempt to remove ink, paint, or cosmetic stains without knowledgeable assistance; they can be permanently set if not handled properly.
Vandalism damage can have serious consequences on a building. If it occurs on your property, notify police and your insurance company, then call a professional restoration firm like FCT Surface Cleaning for professional assistance in getting graffiti / vandalism removal help or give us a call to discuss! We’ll be able to tell you which service you need and tailor them to your situation. Give us a call on (08) 9204 3333!