YOUR ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY CLEANING COMPANY
CALL US TODAY (08) 9204 3333
Google Rating
5.0

Ways to Prevent an Electrical Fire in Your Home

As the weather heats up, fires are more likely to set alight. Some of the most preventative measures are the ones you don’t even realise. By engaging in some of these tips on how to prevent an electrical fire, you’ll be assured that your property is safe from any fires—electrical or otherwise all year round!

Look for Faulty Electrical Outlets and Cords 

Often faulty outlets and old cords can become a problem when forgotten about. If you have a kitchen or home appliance that you’ve had for a while, it will be worth inspecting its plug and cord from time to time. If you notice any wear and tear it might be time for an upgrade.

If you are in the process of moving into a new home, make sure you check and see if all the outlets are in full working condition before moving in. If any seem to be slightly out of action, ensure they are fixed before plugging anything in.

Don’t Leave Heat-Producing Appliances Plugged in When Not in Use 

Heaters, kettles, toasters, irons, hair-straighteners. All things we leave plugged in when we’re in a rush or just lazy. However appliances like these that generate heat can malfunction or overheat when they are left plugged in the socket for extended periods of time. Don’t just turn off the electrical switch, make an effort to pull the plug out of the socket as well!

Never Cut Off the Third Prong 

Never cut off the third prong. Have I said never yet? No but really: the third prong is there to protect you in the event of a power surge or electrical malfunction. The third prong acts the safety feature—the child lock on cars or the steel caps on boots. Without it there it will not ‘ground’ you.

Try Not to Overload the Circuit

When you plug in too many appliances into a plug point or power board, it can cause a short circuit. In addition to this, too many appliances in the one source can cause the level of amperage to exceed its limit which may cause an electrical fire. Try not to plug too many things into one source of power at a time. If you’re not using something, unplug it.

Don’t Ignore Signs of Unease That Could Prevent an Electrical Fire

If there’s a hint that your appliances may be overheating or there is something wrong with the electrical socket: don’t ignore it. Sort it out promptly before the matter can escalate. Some things to look out for can be:

  • Burn marks around a socket, plug, cord, light switch or light fixture.
  • If an appliance, cord or outlet is hot to touch.
  • Sparks appearing when plugging in a device.
  • A burning smell.
  • You get an electrical shock.

These are all red flags that should be looked out for as all or any of these can cause an electrical or circuit fire.

If an electrical or circuit fire has occurred in your home, please call the fire department first. Once they have deemed the house as safe for you to reside in, give us a call and we’ll be able to help clean and restore any damage that may have occurred. Check out our blog on what to do after a fire if you are unsure what to do next. FCT are well known insurance providers for our fire restoration and smoke cleaning services which could be beneficial if your home has been damaged.

If you have enquiries at all please do not hesitate to give us a call on (08) 9204 3333! Alternatively email us at admin@fctcleaning.com

 

Contact Us

How can we help?


SEO Services